Thursday, August 4, 2016

Just like them horses

Tj and I still spend a lot of time down at the corals with all of the animals. Raelinn loves it! It's definitely in her blood. My favorite thing to do, is talk to Blackjack, also know as Lynn's Ghost. Blackjack is a horse that Grandpa had bred from his mare. He always said that when he passed away, Lynn's Ghost would be the last of his horses...I took it at as, that's the last of him walking around in this earth. Although I'm still so scared to ride horses, I could stand there and Watch Blackjack all day. Those big brown eyes could stare into my soul, and at times, I can almost feel my grandpa there. Blackjack will whinny and kick, then walk over to the coral panels and rest his head there...and just stare off into the distance. He'll let me pet him and I always tell him to tell grandpa hi for me. They are so much alike, strong and stubborn, but so wise and gentle. 

My Grandpa Lynn passed away on Valentine's Day 2016. He was just tired. We were on our way home from Vegas with my mom when Bretton called. My Aunt Dixie and Dad were helping him in his bedroom when he just quit breathing. He came to and my dad told him he was gonna call the nurse to come in and check on him and he said "hell no I don't need the nurse!" A few moments later grandpa stopped breathing again, and this time he passed away. Raelinn was so excited to show Gramps her new bunny we had just got at the feed store...when we were home it was so hard to walk in to the house. It was so hard for him to not greet Raelinn with a "it's my little redhead" like he always did. I let Rae show her bunny to Grandpa, because I knew in my heart he was there to see. Grandpa had such a love for all animals, big and small. Rae definitely inherited that from him. Although it broke my heart completely in half to have him leave this earth, I know he is dancing with my Grandma Cora Lee up in the Heavens. We had a big funeral with lots and lots of family and his body was laid to rest next to Grandma. 
I miss him so much. Sometimes I can just sit and cry because my little heart is so sad without him here...but I know he lives on through all of us, I can see it in Raelinn. Tonight, she rode a horse by herself for the first time. She sat up there so big and tall, confident in what she's doing, in her great grandpas saddle. 
He'd sure get a kick out of his little red riding by herself. I know he's proud. I can't wait to see him again one day. I know when I make it to the other side, he'll be there...and he'll say "howdy" like old times. Miss him more than I ever thought possible! 

"She held his hand, he took one last breath
Then she walked out to the front porch step
Stared at the sky, tears on her face
And she swore she could hear him say

If you love me, don't you be afraid
To look in my eyes and open up the gate
Then watch me ride beneath a newborn sun
Just like them horses
When it's time to run"-Reba





No comments:

Post a Comment